Sunday 18 September 2011

Report From Fitzhugh Lee

From: Brigadier-General Fitzhugh Lee
08.15am 28th August 1862 – At the Dunker Church on the Warrenton Turnpike

To: Major-General Thomas Jackson

General, My Brigade has been on the road since dawn and I have been receiving reports that Yankee forces are approaching Elington two miles west of my current position. I believe that at least part of Heintzelman’s III Corps Army of the Potomac is approaching the town from the north on the Haymarket Road. By the manner of their marching, lacking any cavalry or skirmish screening, the enemy appear to be unaware of the presence of our forces. Perhaps we have a chance to take them by surprise! I am keeping my men out of sight and have scouts placed to report back on further developments.

I am sir your humble and obedient servant,

Fitzhugh Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment